Actually there is really not a single Greek seasoning blend recipe that is used throughout the country as it really depends on the season of the year as well as the part of the country you are in. This homemade Greek seasoning blend recipe is a combination of tasty dried herbs and spices that will definitely add fantastic flavours to many traditional dishes.
Homemade Greek Seasoning Blend Recipe
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic flakes
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 x 3 inch cinnamon stick (or 1 tablespoon grounded cinnamon)
- Break up the cinnamon stick
- Then grind the cinnamon pieces together wih the onion and garlic flakes, black peppercorns, celery seeds and seas salt.
- Place the grinded ingredients with the grated nutmeg in a bowl (if using grounded cinnamon, add it together at this stage)
- Crumble all the dried herbs - oregano, parsley and thyme - and combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Place the homemade Greek seasoning blend in an airtight jar.
- Place the jar in a cool place away from direct sunlight.
- Use this Greek seasoning blend within 2 to 3 months period.
Note: If whole ingredients are not available, use pre-ground powders but reduce the amount by 50% eg 1 tablespoon peppercorns = 2 teaspoons pre-ground pepper. Reduce any other ingredients by half too if you do not have them whole.
How to use your Greek Seasong Blend Recipe
There are many ways to use this seasoning:
- as a general seasoning to add to stews and soups or the famous moussaka
- oil some pork chops or kebabs before rubbing in this seasoning mix prior to grilling or barbecuing
- do the same process with sliced aubergine (eggplant) and courgettes before grilling
- simply add to olive oil to be used as drizzle or dressing over steamed vegetables or a salad