Quinoa is considered The Supergrain of the Future. In fact, quinoa was "the gold of the Incas" as they believed it can help increase the stamina of their warriors. Quinoa contains twice as much fiber as most other grains. Fiber is widely known to help relieve constipation and prevent heart disease by reducing high blood pressure and diabetes. Fiber can also help lower the risk of developing hemorrhoids and may also help you in losing weight as it will take you a longer time to chew compared to other foods. Here is a quick and easy-to-prepare salad using the Supergrain Quinoa, to help you towards a healthier lifestyle.
Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (from 1 cup uncooked quinoa)
- 1 stalk celery, diced into 1/4 inch lengths
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained well
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- Combine the lemon juice, garlic, shallot, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked quinoa, chickpeas, celery, raisins, mint and olives and toss all the ingredients well. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, pepper or lemon juice if desired.
- Place the quinoa salad in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.